Tuesday, December 9, 2014

My Sister's Lovely Advice

Two extra hours of work each weekday and an extra 5+ hours (last Saturday it was 9) on the weekend are taking their toll on me.  I can hardly keep my eyes open.  We were watching the premier of the TNT series "The Librarians" on our DVR (which was great fun by the way) and I actually had to stop and take a nap because no amount of fidgeting, leg bouncing, or running trumpet finger patterns was keeping my eyes open.  I just can't seem to be productive when I get home from work unless what you mean by productive is actively watching the back of my eyelids.

There is a ton of stuff that needs doing but it isn't getting done.  I'm sort of okay with that for once because of something lovely my sister Monica wrote in response to my "What I didn't do today" post of a few days ago.  If you haven't read it yet, skip a few days back and give it a go.  Then read this which Monica wrote and posted on my Facebook :

People with broods of kids:
 1. Blame it on the kid
 2. Blame it on the kids pets.
3. Sigh about it loudly and often enough that maybe the kids will pick up some of the slack.
4. Blame it on Santa (read husband)
5. Go to bed at 1AM and get up at 5AM
7.  Discover that gift bags and tissue paper can be used in a pinch when its 3 in the morning on Christmas Eve even though you would prefer every single present be perfectly wrapped, tagged and bowed, and ready for the photo op that's never going to happen because your phone, camera and ipod are all dead and you"ve lost the charger.
8. Secretly buy oatmeal raisin cookies at the store and mix them in with your homemades and hope no one notices that you forgot to make them because they are someone's favorite (again read husband)
9. Buy boxes of Daffins candy, some extra ornaments and a couple of gift cards to stores they like which they then wrap and hide in their closet so when that unexpected guest or neighbor or friend surprises you with a little something you can reciprocate (and if they don't the candy's yours!!!)
10. Christmas cards? Are those the things people mail that you bought in Sept but lost or forgot about so you post a FB message to all your friends?
11. Who makes it to 11 without forgetting something?
12. If all else fails... Alzheimer's runs in the family

It is obviously a Kilbert trait to become obsessive compulsive about the holidays (and everything else too).  So the best advice I can give you is sit back, enjoy the tree, try not to sweat the little stuff cuz other people have it a lot worse, and sip on your egg nog or coffee, only you know if you've added a little something extra to it! Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and much, much love from one of your older, wiser, sisters (and obviously the only one with a brood -kids, chickens or otherwise, unless you count cats)

Want to know what my major takeaways from this advice were?  I'll tell you.

#1 - My family loves me very much.  My husband, my niece, and my sister Marcia also chimed in with love and positivity encouraging me like Monica did.  It's good to know you're loved and missed as much as you miss and love the family you don't see as often as you'd like.

#2 - It isn't the end of the world if I fall asleep and the tree doesn't get decorated for one more day.  Sleep is good, I'm lucky to have a job that needs my skill set and I'm happy to have work to do, even if it is a bit overwhelming at times.  Overtime kind of rocks because it will help me pay off my debt and make everything else more manageable too.

And my very favorite:

#3 - Somehow Monica's list missed number six which cracked me up to the point of hysterics.  It does run in the family!  I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it.  Oh how I love you Monica Brennan.  You're the best!

And thank you for helping me write my blog post tonight.  God knows I need the sleep!

XO


No comments:

Post a Comment