Saturday, December 20, 2014

Happy Birthday Mom

My mother Jane Kilbert is 77 years old today.  She has meant so many things to so many people throughout her life.  The folks in my family have been blessed to call her their daughter, niece, mother, mother-in-law, sister-in-law, aunt, cousin, grandmother, and now even great grandmother.  Everyone who has ever known her has been blessed to call her their friend.  She is a sweet woman who is unfailingly kind and shows great care and concern for everyone, especially for the people she loves.  She has room in her heart for her precious canine companions too and many animals have known her as the lady who cooks them eggs to order.  She's really awesome.  If she's not your mom, you ought to be jealous.  She rocks.  
She was a mysterious child.  You can tell by the veil.
She and my father have known and loved each other from childhood.
Her plaid coat was early proof of her style and flair.
With dad's class ring around her neck on her sixteenth birthday, she was queen of the world.
Here she is with one of her early (and likely spoiled) pets.  I think this is Boopsy.
She could've been a model, and she could rock red lipstick in a black and white photo.
See why my father couldn't keep his eyes off her?
Break out the dixie cups, mom was ready to celebrate.
Fast forward through five kids into a lifetime of love and support shown to her children.
And also to her  grandchildren who she adored even though they whipped her at cards (Marissa Jean).
At my nephew's wedding she said I could sell her picture on ebay to make money because it would be gorgeous.  She was right!
She had been married to my father for over fifty years at this point.  When I pointed that out she said "I really need a medal or something.  Maybe you could get me on Oprah.
This most recent picture with my niece on her wedding day thrilled mom to no end.
And after all these years and all the kids and the drama and beauty of a life well lived, she is still as lovely as ever.  Happy birthday mom.  Thank you for putting up with me when I was a bitchy teenager, for scraping me up and helping me move forward when my heart was broken and for taking Andy's face in your hands and saying "I'm so glad she finally found you, you're one of the good ones" when we were able to see you last.  I miss you so much and think about you and daddy constantly.  Every time I look in the mirror I see a bit more of you staring back at me, and there is nothing I'd rather be than a woman who is as sweet and loving as you.  I hope your birthday was amazing, and I'm so sorry I couldn't spend it with you, but I hope you know how very much I love you now and forever.

1 comment:

  1. You left out the part about her doing without "things" so her kids could always somehow end up with their heart's desire; teaching us all to be creative and crafty, and never ever saying "I told you so" when we didn't listen to advice we should have taken! Happy Birthday Mommy.

    ReplyDelete