Sunday, December 7, 2014

Chex Mix in the Microwave!

I love Chex Mix.  I always have.  When I was little, my Aunt Lilyan would always bring over a huge tin of it for our family.  She called it "scramble" and it is kind of a Kilbert family holiday tradition.

I just found out that it is incredibly easy to make it in the microwave and it is done in just a few minutes, so tonight I made a batch for Andy and I that had cashews in place of peanuts.  I also added some white cheddar croutons by a company called Rothbury Farms in place of the Gardetto's or bagel chips to see if they were good and they ended up being smashing!

There is a $1 off coupon for 3 boxes of General Mills cereals in this Sunday's paper so you can get three different flavored (rice, corn and wheat) boxes of Chex which is enough to make several batches.  There is also a display of Chex Mix seasoning marked "free - take one" in the end cap display of the cereal at Wal-Mart.  Try and grab one to make the process even easier!

If you don't have a seasoning packet you can use 2 Tablespoons of Worcestershire, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder and 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt.  Melt 6 Tablespoons of stick butter or margarine in the microwave and add the contents of the seasoning packet or the above ingredients.  Then toss the following in the mixture in a very large microwave safe bowl:

3 cups rice Chex
3 cups wheat Chex
3 cups corn Chex
1 cup of your favorite nuts
1 cup mini pretzels or pretzel sticks
1 cup bagel chips (I used croutons)

Microwave in two minute increments, stirring well for a total of six minutes and spread on baking sheets to cool.

It is quick delicious and an easy treat to make for a holiday party or to give as a gift in a pretty holiday tin instead of cookies.



I also found a slow cooker version of this recipe that takes three hours on low heat, but you have to stir it at least once every 20 minutes and spread it to cool, so it isn't a time saver unless you were going to be baking or spending a lot of time in the kitchen anyway.  The traditional oven version is the same recipe but baked at 250 for a hour and stirring every 10-15 minutes.  I think the microwave version is much more useful because it is so fast!

I am going to be making a sweet variety as well this week once the first batch has been demolished, and I think I may be making up some tins of scramble for my neighbors too.  We got a few outside lights up today and the decorations are at least down from the attic and ready to go up this week when I have time to work on them.  I also had a chance to read a bit of my book Christmas at Tiffanys today and I am really enjoying it.  Hopefully I can review it for you soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment