Thursday, February 19, 2015

Soup Of The Day

As I was making dinner I got distracted by my phone and the lovely pan of onions, celery and carrots that was softening kind of started to burn a bit.  That's how tonight's "Fire-Roasted" veggie soup started.  It was still totally delicious.  Sometimes you've just got to call it a day and embrace the mistakes!

Start with a 1lb. package of mild Italian sausage.   Lose the casings and brown it.  Transfer the sausage to a stock pot and add a cup of diced carrots, four stalks of thinly sliced celery and a small diced onion to the pan with the drippings.  Burning the veggies even though you have the lid on to steam them takes highly prized skills.  You might not be up to it.  Don't worry.  Add your probably not fire-roasted veggies to the pot along with 5 cups of chicken stock and 1 cup of V8 vegetable juice.  Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.  Add 8 oz.  dry uncooked orzo pasta once soup is bubbling and allow to boil, lower hear and simmer  covered, for 10 minutes.  Stir in 1 cup of finely sliced spinach and simmer for an additional 3 minutes, add a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese and a few croutons to serve.

I added a grilled cheese sandwich on the side.

I burned that too.  I am on fire tonight.

So is everything I touch.


Still looks (and tastes) delicious!




No comments:

Post a Comment