Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Blush Mystery Beauty Box Reveal February 2015


This month's Blush Mystery Beauty Box wasn't a hit for me.  There are several products I don't think I'll be able to use due to allergies or incompatibility with my hair type.  I wish Blush would take the skin tones and hair type of the ladies who subscribe to this box into account.  Although I'm really happy to see some new brands and that there are no repeat products, the overall value of this box is very poor for me personally this month.

It is also worthy to note that although the "Congratulations!  You just received over $100 worth of fine beauty products" has disappeared from the enclosure cards Blush.com still makes the statement of their boxes being worth that much on their site.  I can't make these products add up to that value.  If they've changed their concept they should change the statement online or at the very least break down the values for us on the sample items.  It also says the box contains a mix of full size, travel size and deluxe samples.  Birchbox also used to claim a perfume vial was a deluxe sample, but I really don't see that.  Particularly when you can go to Sephora and request a sample to take home of any fragrance they sell.



Fragrance:
Tocca hand cream in Cleopatra - full size
Tocca Cleopatra fragrance vial - sample
Juliette Has a Gun "Not a Perfume" - sample



The Tocca hand cream may be a miss for me because it contains Shea butter but it is very far down on the list of ingredients, so it may be manageable for me.  I haven't decided if I love the fragrance yet.  The cucumber and grapefruit description didn't sound appealing, but the dry down has musk, vanilla and Jasmine in it which I liked.  I have always been jealous when people posted vials of the Juliette Has A Gun fragrances because I thought the packaging was beautiful.  I'm no longer jealous.  "Not a Perfume" is a single note fragrance called Cetalox.  It claims to be allergen free.  Personally I think it smells like a mix of Constant Comment Bigelow Tea and Off insect repellent.  Not a good scent on me.

Color Cosmetics
100% Pure Creamy Nail Polish in Kiss - full size
Cargo Cosmetics liquid eyeliner in black - full size


This is a pretty hot pink for Valentine's day, but not a color I would normally choose for myself.  I will officially never have to buy black eyeliner again thanks to subscriptions.

Hair care
The Wrap Up by Sarah Potema bun styler in black - full size
Alterna Kendi Oil Frizz Control - deluxe sample



My hair is so baby fine that even if I had received this hair styling tool in the lightest shade I wouldn't have had enough hair to wrap it.  The Alterna product is for thick and coarse hair types which means it will be gifted to my coworker.

Skin care
NeoStrata Skin Active serum - sample
Vichy Skin Idealizer serum - sample



Both of these serum samples are very small and are labeled "sample - not for sale" which negates their cost to me.  Deluxe samples often have bar codes and have an assigned value when they are part of a free gift. These types of samples aren't very exciting to me simply because Blush has sent out many larger, more useable deluxe samples in the past.  I'm not sure either serum contains enough product to convince me to buy a full size.

The full size and travel size products prices break down as follows:
Hand cream: $20
Hair tool: $12
Eyeliner: $20
Nail polish: $12
Hair oil: approximately $12.50

$76.50

Even adding a very generous $5 for each serum sample and $2 for each perfume vial the total value is just over $90.  If you're purchasing this as a one time box it is $34.95, or as a monthly subscription it is $24.95.  I'm okay with this box for the $24.95 price point but I really wish they would offer more customization in the future.  I don't have high hopes, but I would love to see it.

There was also a $20 off $100 code included this month for dermstore by using FEB15 valid through 2/28/15


Here's hoping this month's box suits you a little better than it did me.




6 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I loved this article. These products seem to be professional hair products. Well, I use only the alterna hair products as they are suggested by my dermatologist and hair stylist too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Self-assertive and amazing in equal measures, a must read.
    led mirror lights

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. http://kortlink.dk/wheelsshop/tmqe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Instantly Ageless Cream Thank you for some other informative website. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such a perfect method? I have a venture that I am simply now running on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i read a lot of stuff and i found that the way of writing to clearifing that exactly want to say was very good so i am impressed and ilike to come again in future.. luxjunky.com

    ReplyDelete