Wednesday, February 25, 2015

I'm Not Gonna Miss You

I watched the Academy Awards tonight (finally) after recording them on Sunday.

Glen Campbell's "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" was nominated for best song.   Tonight was my first time hearing it, in the deft hands of Tim McGraw, but I'm going to post a video of Glen Campbell singing it.

I was sobbing after I heard it on the telecast and even more so when I heard it in his own voice.

This powerful song is about his realization he would eventually succumb to Alzheimer's disease and is an I love you and goodbye to his wife and children.

Both of my parents are currently living with the disease, and my father's parents and my mother's aunt both passed away while suffering its effects.   In a word, Alzheimer's is terrifying.  Knowing there's every chance I'll develop it as I age and having four siblings all with a 10+ year age gap from me who are likely to suffer from it too is something that weighs on my mind.


I'm still here, but yet I'm gone
I don't play guitar or sing my songs
They never defined who I am
The man that loves you 'til the end
You're the last person I will love
You're the last face I will recall
And best of all, I'm not gonna miss you
Not gonna miss you
I'm never gonna hold you like I did
Or say I love you to the kids
You're never gonna see it in my eyes
It's not gonna hurt me when you cry
I'm never gonna know what you go through
All the things I say or do
All the hurt and all the pain
One thing selfishly remains
I'm not gonna miss you
I'm not gonna miss you

(Metrolyrics.com)





No comments:

Post a Comment