Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Soup For Days

I know that all of my recipes won't be successes, but I was really hoping tonight's soup would be better.  I ruined it by using a box of stock that I was unfamiliar with.  I think I would've enjoyed it if I stuck with chicken stock, but I used a Cajun flavored vegetable stock instead.  I thought the onion, carrots, celery and pepper flavors would work nicely with the cauliflower and lentils, but I didn't ananticipate the seasoning in it would smell like Old Bay.

I hate Old Bay.  Just the scent of it in the can makes me nauseated.

When I worked at Alabama Shakespeare Festival we had a one man show called "The Fula From America" and on opening night they had a cocktail party that featured shrimp boil.  The day of the show the entire theatre reeked of Old Bay and I was incredibly ill at the time.  Now every time I smell it, it instantly makes me sick.

On the plus side I really liked the cauliflower.  I somehow made it to this point in life without ever having tried raw cauliflower.  I thought I hated it.  I don't.  I thought it tasted lovely and similar to the pods of snow peas.  Even in the soup (which was Old Baying me to death) I really dug the texture.  The vegetables have really been upping their game lately.  Tomorrow I'm going to do a veggie stir fry with all of my newfound vegetable friends.

I put lots of melted cheese on Andy's dish and it looked just like the photo in the One Pot cookbook, but my bowl was very small since I was afraid of it.  Andy has lots of leftovers, and I need to buy more lentils!



Thank you to Blogging for Books for the awesome One Pot Martha Stewart Living Cookbook.  I am checking out a cookbook on healthy affordable meals from Melissa D'Arabian (of Food Network fame) this week - it just came in the mail today so there will be an upcoming review soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment