Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Best and Worst Beauty Subscription Products 2014

I have subscribed to a ton of beauty boxes, bags and subscriptions in the past fewt years.  I thought it would be fun to list the best and worst finds that those subs brought me in 2014.  There were lots of products I was thrilled to add to my collection as well as a few real klunkers that I found unusable and wish I'd never even tried.

Eye Shadow
Best - Bareminerals 5 in 1 eye cream (Ipsy) a smooth perfect base with a hint of color.
Worst - Jane Iredale Eye Gloss (Blush) smeary, slidy and unwearable.

Palette
Best - Nyx Be Free Palette (Blush)/ Coastal Scents Revealed Palette (Boxycarm) 2 palettes I would never expect from a subscription that had lots of neutrals and plenty of shades.
Worst - Jessie J eye shadow palette (Ipsy) zero pigment and incredibly short lived color.

Eyeliner
Best - Elizabeth Mott You're so fine liquid liner (Ipsy) a wearable shimmer at any age.
Worst - Cailyn liquid liner (Wantable) this burned the bejeezus out of my eyelids.

Mascara
Best - Benefit They're Real (Ipsy, Glossybox) a great brush and a hype worthy formula.
Worst - Be A Bombshell (Ipsy) smelled like plastic death.

Blush
Best - City Color Cosmetics Matte Blush (Ipsy) great color payoff and fab price.
Worst - tarte blushing bride cream blush (Boxycharm) sticky and unblendable/ Julep Glow blush in peach (Julep) should be called "look at my pores!  They sparkle!".  The claim of a pore minimizing product is the biggest and most ridiculous lie of anything I used this year.

Bronzer
Best - Pixi subtly sun touched bronzer (Ipsy) pretty and subtle.  No sparkle!!
Worst - Cargo Beachblush in cable beach (Blush) there was no happy medium here.  It was zero or Bozo.

Primer
Best - Hourglass Veil primer (Glossybox) this even helped hide my acne scars in an amazing way.  I wish I could afford a full size.
Worst - Sarah McNamera Miracle Skin transformer (Blush) I couldn't get past the scent.

Lip Gloss
Best - Buxom lip gloss in Dolly (Ipsy) minty and pretty rose color
Worst - OCC Lip Tar Metallic Bronze (Glossybox) this made me itch and was incredibly drying.

Lipstick
Best - bareminerals marvelous moxie lipstick (Ipsy)/ silky long wearing color Hikari lipstick in Wine (Ipsy) works great as a stain under balm.
Worst - tarte complexion brightening lipstick (glossybox), turned a crazy pink on me and felt odd on. Be A Bombshell The One Stick (Ipsy, Boxycharm, Glossybox) I can't like this product - it has a weird texture and is huge.

Lip Balm
Best - Glominerals lip treatment (blush) heavenly.
Worst - absolute New York you're the balm in grape (Ipsy) drying

Moisturizer
Best - purlisse pur-moist (Glossybox, Ipsy) love this, hate the sunscreen version.
Worst - Olay Regenerist (Wal-Mart beauty) made my skin feel tight and like I needed to wash it.

Cleanser
Best - Philosphy Miracle Worker (New Beauty Test Tube) makes a difference in the radiance of my skin but feels weird if I accidentally get any on my lips/ derma new cleansing cream (Blush) really light and moisturizing.
Worst - Garnier Balancing Daily Scrub (Wal-Mart beauty) had a packet of this and it stung badly on the driest areas of my face.

Makeup Remover
Best - Lancome bi facil eye makeup remover (glossybox) smells like roses.  Works like a dream.
Worst - Burt's Bees makeup remover wipes (Ipsy) these had an odd scent I found of putting.

Shampoo
Best - Jonathan Infinite Volume (Blush) great naturally derived produxt/Nick Chavez Beverly Hills plump and thick (Blush) really adds volume
Worst - Pantene Anti Aging (Wal-Mart beauty) made my hair incredibly greasy

Dry Shampoo
Best - Oscar Blandi pronto invisible (Blush) clear, lemony and fab
Worst - Batiste fresh scent (Blush) white and oddly scented

Conditioner
Best - Nick Chavez Beverly Hills Advanced Volume (New Beauty Test Tube) this stuff is so light and yet so moisturizing
Worst - Pantene Anti Aging (Wal-Mart beauty) grease city.

Styling Product
Best - It's a 10 Miracle Leave In (New Beauty Test Tube) a perfect leave in conditioner.
Worst - Sexy Hair Powder Play Volume (Ipsy) gritty, sticky and not fun

Shower Gel
Best - Botanicals  Your nose is rose - a bloomin' shower gel (Glossybox) if you love roses you'll adore this.
Worst - Lulah body wash (Pop Sugar) I tried to love this but it left my skin feeling right.

Tools
Best - Mirabella domed eye shadow brush (Ipsy) best ever brush in a sub
Worst - Julep angled blush brush (Julep) so dense yet so poorly tapered it picks up color only in one spot and is useless.

Fragrance
Best - Clean Shower Fresh roller ball (Blush) so great for work - clean and powdery.
Worst - Juicy Coture Viva la Juicy (Wal-Mart beauty) this is everything I dislike in a perfume.  I think it must be black currents and patchouli.

There are probably lots of categories I'm missing, but there were lots of cool things that showed up in the mail this'd year.  Here's hoping 2015 will be more hits and fewer misses!



No comments:

Post a Comment