Thursday, January 1, 2015

A New Year Begins

I don't tend to make resolutions for the simple reason that when my resolve softens I get unnecessarily upset.  I think that many times we put tons of pressure on ourselves when the new year starts and stack up some unrealistic expectations.  I have unrealistic expectations every day because I'm a perfectionist.  I hope I can let some of that go and move forward this year, but when I frame it as an "I'm going to..." statement it has less of a chance to become an "I did".

With that said, I do have some hopefulness about the new year.  There are many things I'd like to see myself accomplish and many things to work on.

I hope that I can continue to update my blog with daily posts.  I also hope that when I inevitably miss a day I won't beat myself up about it.  It is good for me to post every day, but if I miss one here or there, it isn't the end of the world.

I hope that I can find the time to read more.  I have dozens of books that I am excited about and I find reading one of the most relaxing activities you could hope for.  I just finished a book today that I'll review this week that has renewed my interest in finding great new authors to shine a light on.  I hope that I can be more proactive and review the books I enjoy on Amazon and Goodreads before their publication date when possible.  There are so many amazing authors out there that are undiscovered by many folks.  If I can introduce at least one new author to people each month I'll be happy.

I would really love to write something this year.  It doesn't have to be published, and it may never get further than my composition book, but I am really interested in writing.  It's something I've always enjoyed and look forward to getting back to.  I love telling stories, and my mind is always racing with ideas, so putting those to pen seems like a logical step.

Most of all I hope I can be more even keeled.  I may need help with this step more than any other.  I am an extremely emotional person and I take most things too seriously.  I allow myself to get wrapped up in things that I can't change and then get upset and flustered over my inability to make a difference.  I get my feelings hurt and I let tiny things affect me so much that I can't pay attention to the things that matter and the ones I can do something about.  I hope that I can take more things in stride and learn to be more aware of the things that are important to me.  I hope to have more control of my emotions so that my lows aren't quite so low and my highs aren't so high that normal feels like a disappointment.

I hope that your goals and resolutions help you make 2015 your best year yet.  I hope that this year is a fine one for you and for me too.  Be well, be happy and be grateful for the joys each day brings you.  Much love to all of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment