Friday, January 23, 2015

Finding New Favorites

In effort to explore the many many samples I have and clear out some products that are taking up space I am determined to test out at least one new product every day.

Thanks to the beauty subscription boxes and freebies I've managed to accumulate over the past few years I don't really have to shop for new things (although I can't seem to help myself every now and then).   I decided that this week (and every week from here on out) I was going to give one or more beauty products I hadn't used yet or had barely used a shot.  Here are this week's explorations and a micro review of each product.

Lips
Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment in Rose'- this has a strange lemongrass flavor and although I liked the tint it makes my lips feel oddly itchy.
Vaseline Lip Therapy in Rosy Lips - I love this.  It has the slightest hint of pink and I've workn it all week.  My only complaint is I'd like more tint!
NYC Expert Last Lip Color in Sugar Plum - Didn't last more than a few minutes because it was uncomfortable on.  It had an odd, grainy texture and had an unpleasant scent. (I got this free from Influenster)
bareMinerals marvelous Moxie lipstick in Break Away - This was everything I wanted the NYC to be.  Beautiful color that lasted three hours and was comfortable to wear.
LipFusion Plump + Shine lipstick in Baby Doll - I loved the tingling sensation of this and was very surprised to find this pink a slightly sheer, very wearable shade.

Cheeks
Two Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzer - I loved this!  The color was lighter and very wearable and gave just a hint of glow.  I would love to own a sample size larger than this card.
Sephora Bronzing Powder in Maldives - This has a subtle shimmer and is very warm.  It will probably work better on me in the summer but it made a great eyeshadow color and was pretty buffed out with a kabuki brush as a cheek color.

Eyes
Rimmel Just Let It Go Eye Makeup Remover - just okay for me.  It felt just like water but did easily remove regular mascara.  It had no scent.  I prefer my Lacome bi-facil which smells like roses and feels luxurious although that is $30 a bottle and this is $5.  (Also free from Influenster).
Tarte Lights Camera Flashes Statement Mascara - This has a very spiky plastic brush that I find a little difficult to maneuver.  I feel like I'll poke my eye out.  It is hard to grab the inner lashes with this wand although the formula is inky black and lasts for hours.
Avon Glimmersticks Diamonds Liner in Sugar Plum - this has an amazing sparkle and even beats the Stila purple sparkle  liner I have in staying power.   It takes waterproof eye makeup remover and patience to remove so fix smudges and wiggly lines quickly!  This is also an awesome buy at $3 in quantity (4 for $12).
bareMinerals Round the Clock Eyeliner in 4PM - this deep eggplant shade is wonderful.  It doesn't budge and glides on like a dream.  I'm happy to have discovered this in their mystery box.
Covergirl Eye Enhancers in Natural Nudes - I was really hoping these would wear longer but they didn't last.  The pinky taupe shade on my hand had a huge amount of glitter, 95% of which ended up on my cheeks.  The darkest of the four shades just wasn't pigmented.  It is actually swatched below the glitter.
Wet n' Wild Eyeshadow Collection in Comfort Zone - Wow.  I am really amazed at the pigmentation in Wet n' Wild shadows.  The lower right corner shade is swatched and you can see it has a beautiful teal shift with a reddish brown base.  I love the soft creamy quality of these powders and I love the fact that for less than $4 I had shades that lasted on my hooded eyes for 12 hours without creasing.  I have no idea why I didn't use this sooner.  I am definitely going to use my Petal Pusher palette as well and will be hunting for the winter palettes on clearance.

I actually tried a few other products this week too and revisited some older favorites.  In the coming weeks I will highlight some wonderful buys, some lamentably discontinued gems and some beauty staples I find to be go-tos.  If you have any suggestions for a collection of products you'd like to hear about let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment