Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Fall Flavor Experiment: Pumpkin Spice Fudge

Howdy folks!

I love baking in the fall and winter but it still kind of felt like summer today and I was looking to make something that had all of the flavor of the first day of Autumn but none of the heat.  I came up with an oddball solution, but one that I hope tastes pretty good.  I whipped up a pan of pumpkin spice fudge for a luncheon tomorrow at work!  I'm hoping that it sets up well because it is a bit of an unconventional fudge.


I like to make rum truffles.  They have become one of my go to recipes for holidays and parties, but they are really labor intensive and it takes hours to chill the mix, roll them into balls and coat them in toppings.  My husband and I started choosing a room to tackle and really clean each day, and yesterday it was the kitchen so I wasn't ready to destroy all our hard work in a tornado of rum ball mania.  I tweaked the recipe a little, threw in some things I had on hand and splashed it with Fireball Whiskey. There is an approximation of the recipe below, but a lot of it was done by my highly scientific "looks about right" method, so you may need to add a little of this or that to make it perfect.  When it was finished and before it went into the fridge, Andy tried a bit off of the mixing bowl and declared it good even though he isn't usually a pumpkin fan. We'll hear from the work taste testers tomorrow and I will post an update on the final chilled texture so I can figure out what you might need to add to make it just right!


Pumpkin Spice Fudge

1 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons pumpkin spice flavor syrup (I used Archer Farms brands from Target)

Combine these in a 2 quart sauce pan.  Heat on medium watching carefully and stirring constantly until liquid just starts to shimmer.

1/3 bag of Kraft pumpkin spice flavored marshmallows (about 20)

Turn heat to low.  Add marshmallows to liquid and stir until melted.  Be careful not to scald mixture.

18 ounces white chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli brand - a little more than one and a half bags)

Add to mixture slowly, stirring constantly until chocolate is completely melted.  I find that white chocolate doesn't melt as easily as regular chocolate does.  If there are a few small pieces that don't melt it's fine they will still taste good.  

2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice 

Remove mix from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl.  Slowly add powdered sugar and spice to mixture in bowl, mixing with a spoon to combine.  Use a slow speed on your stand mixer or hand mixer and continue to mix until there are no visible lumps.  

4 Tablespoons of Fireball Whiskey, warmed (If you prefer you can use cinnamon schnapps or spiced rum)
A sprinkling of pumpkin pie spice

Slowly pour whiskey into fudge base, continue to mix on low speed until mixture is glossy and well combined (about one minute).  Pour into a shallow foil pan that has been lightly greased with butter or cooking spray to prevent fudge from sticking.  Lightly sprinkle with additional pumpkin pie spice if desired.  Chill in the fridge for at least two hours, preferably overnight.  Slice into small squares with a plastic knife (plastic knives don't stick to the mix!) and enjoy.

I hope you enjoy this no-bake fall treat.  The alcohol does not cook out so bear that in mind before serving it to little ones.  The little cinnamon kick is a fun way to add some warmth without heating up the kitchen.  Much love to all y'all and happy eating!

A quick update - this fudge didn't set up very well.  It had more of an icing consistency than I wanted.  I would decrease the cream to a scant cup, only use one tablespoon of the pumpkin syrup and both bags (22 oz.) of chocolate chips if I made it again.  Hopefully that will make it a little firmer and easier to serve.  Even though they ate it on spoons I didn't hear much complaining.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment