Monday, September 15, 2014

Easy Apple Cobbler for Fall Baking


Howdy folks!

Fall is almost here, and today was the first day that has felt properly autumnal.  The leaves are just thinking about losing their grip and beginning to blush over the prospect.  I wish I was able to spend more time outside today, but as I headed out with a new book in tow, I was promptly sidetracked by the mail, the phone, my dog and twenty other things.  I didn't get out the door until it was getting too dark to read and even with my sweatshirt zipped the porch was a little too chilly to hang out on.   I cozied up on the bed instead and have been reading for bit while I baked.

I always get in a baking mood around this time of year.  I don't know if it is the pumpkins and  apples everywhere or the spiced wind that makes me long for the warmth of the oven and the kitchen or just a desire to celebrate the return of sweaters and jeans, but I enjoy dusting off my cake pans and Corning ware and whipping up some fall deliciousness.

A previous version prior to baking
Today I made my sister Monica's recipe for Mountain Top Apple Cobbler.  It is pretty simple.  Actually, beyond peeling and coring the apples it goes incredibly quick.  You take a cup of white sugar, two sticks of melted butter, two teaspoons of cinnamon and a splash of vanilla extract, mix it up and pour it over three layers - a can of crescent rolls covering the bottom of a 9x13 dish, a layer of 3-4 large apples diced up and a second can of crescent rolls on top. Easy peasy!

Here comes the magic! Once the mix is spread evenly on the layers of apple and crescent roll dough, you dump a can of Sprite (or any clear pop) on top and bake the whole shebang at 350° for 50 minutes.   Pour slowly because it fizzes.  It bakes into a bubbly warm fall delight.

Sometimes I have to improvise and use what is on hand - today I only had one roll of crescents so I chucked in a few extra apples.  I usually use Granny Smith but today I had Galas.  I used a 10x10 dish so it wasn't so hard to stretch the dough to fit.  I also didn't have any clear pop so I used a sparkling half tea/ half lemonade instead.  No matter how you tweak it, it always comes out pretty good.

Today's version
I hope you enjoy this fast and easy to make fall treat!  I'm headed back to my book which I'll review soon.

Much love and yummy days to all y'all.


No comments:

Post a Comment