Sunday, November 16, 2014

Less Than Six Weeks 'Til Christmas?

Only six weeks until Santa comes?  How does this happen?  I can hardly believe that the holidays are coming up so fast.  It seems like yesterday I was planting spring flowers and worrying if they would make it through the frost.  Summer went by fast this year.  Much faster than I thought possible.  It seems like kids only have two weeks of summer vacation anymore.  I remember summers seeming to last forever when I was a kid, but it was probably because I was anxious to be back in school.  I loved school.  I would be in school right now if I had the money to take classes.  I would love to take a photography course or a cooking course at some point.

Andy was hard at work yesterday in the basement.  He has mudded almost all of the drywall and he promised that he will have a coat of paint up on the wall that the display cases are on so that I can put my Christmas dolls and village house on display this year.  I'm really excited to have the basement to decorate.  I have two small Christmas trees I didn't put up last year and this year they will be flanking the TV downstairs.  The walls might not all get painted because it will be too cold to keep the door open and we have to think of Cinna - she won't like the smell of the paint and if we open the window I don't want her to get too cold.  Slowly but surely our house is coming together.  The green and white of the drywall and the mud could be a special Christmas modern art if you have a creative outlook!

Having more room for decorations also means I will get to put up all of my favorite ornaments and that the upstairs tree can be totally themed.  I am thinking of keeping it all snowflakes and crystals and then making an Elsa topper for the tree.  I am already working on ideas for my Frozen themed decor.  I can't believe I waited so long to watch the movie.  It has quickly moved itself up the ladder of my favorite Disney films and it is in good company with The Little Mermaid and Finding Nemo.  I've always enjoyed Idina Menzel too and I'm glad she's finally getting some recognition for her beautiful voice and her amazing Broadway career.  My tree from last year had a snow and ice theme already and most of the ornaments are glittering silver and and aqua blue as you can see in this shot of last year's tree.  Elsa is going to make it shine!

I feel like I haven't gotten much done today, but I did get a ton of chocolate chips and candy kisses for holiday baking.  I should have whipped up a batch of cookies, but instead I made some crepes because I have been craving them and had a jar of Lingonberry jam I had yet to open.  I thought they turned out awesome and I was very proud of them, but Andy wasn't a big fan of the jam or the sweet cream cheese filling I made.  He loves pancakes drowned in syrup so I thought they would go over better, but they weren't very exciting to him.  Later this week I plan on making meatloaf which he always enjoys so maybe that will make up for it.

I also got to start yet another book today - Stephen King's Revival.  I don't really need to buy books at all but I have favorite authors that are must buys for me and that includes anything by Uncle Stevie.  So tonight I will be cuddled up with my new blanket, a cup of tea, and a wonderful new hardback and then I get to watch The Walking Dead!  Woo hooo!  I do need to go on the record and say it better not be Beth under that sheet.  If it is I might be crying my eyes out come ten o'clock.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment