Thursday, August 23, 2012

Missing Puck

      I am struck today at how terribly I miss my beloved dog Puck.  We had to put him down a few months ago because he was in a great deal of pain and had been for some time due to his Lyme disease.  His joints and hips made it very difficult for him to get around and he was struggling daily.  In his last few days he stopped eating and was just miserable.  I hated to take him to the vet, knowing he wasn't coming home with me that day.  He had been several times in the weeks leading up to it because he was declining so rapidly.  Sometimes I am completely wrecked when I think about him.  Perhaps it is unnatural to have such an attachment to an animal but I get a lump in my throat every day when I let Obi outside and I have forgotten before and called to Puck, thinking he was just around the corner and playing keep away to stay outside and run for a few extra minutes.  He was a great dog.  A big stinky, shedding, drooling nightmare of a dog at times, but he was mine and he meant the world to me.  I am lucky to have had him for the nearly eight years he was with me, but I still wish he were here.  Now I worry about losing Obi.  A lot.

      Sorry for such a melancholy post.  I am thankful to have had all the joy he brought me.  I'm thankful for it far more than I am sad that he is no longer with me.  Much love to all of you - I hope that you appreciate your pets and give them an extra hug tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment