Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Rest in Peace Ray

      Even though I should be in bed (since I have to work at 3am tomorrow - yikes!) I just wanted to quickly post about some cool things that have happened.  I got my copies of Oliver Potzsch's The Hangman's Daughter and The Dark Monk today on my Kindle from BzzAgent.  I actually read The Hangman's Daughter which was a historical mystery novel a while ago, and enjoyed it although it was slow at first.  The Dark Monk doesn't launch in print until next week and if I hurry I will get to review it early.  I am always fond of books, and the opportunity to read it free makes me really happy!  I will be posting a review here and on GoodReads as well as soon as I get into it.

      Another exciting book win happened today too.  I just found out that I was randomly picked to win a free copy of the memoir Jasmine and Fire by Salma Abdelnour from Read It Forward.  It is about her experiences during a year she spent in Beirut.  It looked really interesting, and this is also an advance copy but it is a physical book rather than one for my e-reader.  I am expecting it in about a month, so I will definitely be talking about it after I'm done, and in the read it forward spirit I would be happy to let anyone else who has an interest borrow my copy.

      One very sad thing that happened today was that one of my favorite authors, Ray Bradbury died.  I loved his short story collections especially, and also have been a fan of his since I was very very young and I watched a wonderful ABC after school special based on one of his works called "The Electric Grandmother."  I also have loved the Disney movie "Something Wicked This Way Comes" based on his story The Autumn People for as long as I can remember.  I have dvds of the old Ray Bradbury theatre shows from HBO that I watched when I was younger too.  From Dandelion Wine (which was almost the name of this blog) to Fahrenheit 451 I have loved his work and I am sad to see that he has passed on.  Thankfully he has left behind a legacy of wonderful science fiction and fantasy writing to readers everywhere and he will live on in his words and his influence in other's work.  I will always be grateful for the little moments of wonder and excitement he has given me.  Thank you Ray.  Rest in Peace.

      Much Joy and Love to you.  Read a little every day and I know you will find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment